40cm x 35cm
Phoenix Brewery (Dublin) Ltd, 89 James’s Street, Dublin, Ireland.
Founded 1778 and was later known as the Phoenix Porter Brewery Co. Registered January 1897.
Acquired by John D’Arcy & Son Ltd 1906 and closed 1909.
From the Brewery History society Journal Number 91
This brewery publicly advertised itself as “the largest brewery in Ireland but one”.
Founded in 1788 by Charles Madder who by all accounts was a brilliant technical and innovative brewer. He had come from London to brew porter in Dublin. His business and trading activities were poor and the brewery was rescued by one John Brennan and later his son Charles. Essentially a porter brewery with a capacity to produce 350,000 bulk barrels per annum, it launched its own O’Connell’s Dublin Ale. This was probably due to the fact that when they took over Robert Manders & Co‘s Brewery, their next door neighbours in 1897 it replaced Mander’s Dublin Ale. It enjoyed a local and export trade however for whatever the reasons it became bankrupt and closed in 1909. The franchise of brewing O’Connell’s Dublin Ale was given to D’Arcys.
From:- Breweries and Distilleries in Dublin
Francis Coleman moved from 103 to 105 James Street on 15-8-1807.
At that time Francis Coleman & Hamilton dissolved their brewing partnership. The Guinness Power station site (now Roe & Co distillery) near the corner of Watling Street occupied part of the site of the Phoenix brewery founded in 1778 by an English brewer called Mather. In 1828 John Brennan bought the brewery and was succeeded by Charles Brenan. Daniel O’Connell junior son of the Liberator acquired the Phoenix Brewery in 1831 which occupies a three acre site at the corner of Watling Street and James’s Street. It operated under the name O’Connell’s brewery for a time. There was a campaign to support their porter as “Catholic” against Guinnness’s “protestant porter“. Daniel O’Connell, the Liberator, refused to support that activity while he was an MP. Guinness was a political rival but was quite liberal on the Catholic Emancipation and Repeal questions. Phoenix acquired the adjoining the six acre Manders brewery site at 111-117 James’s Street and in 1897 the concern became a public company. The brewery extended from James Street to the Quays and had the second largest output in Ireland.
John D’Arcy & Son Ltd’s Anchor Brewery bought the Phoenix brewery, then operating for 160 years on 13-6-1905 and it was hoped to continue both breweries as well as the Phoenix brand O’Connell’s ale. However by 13-10-1905 the Phoenix site was for auction.